Culture Basics: Your Guide to Cultural Concepts
Read these six short posts and get up-to-speed.
Six Concepts about Culture You Need To Know
- The # 1 Reason Why Culture Matters
- Who’s Your Culture Mama?
- The Most Important Question about Cultural Literacy
- Work, Family and Other Cultural Values
- Are You Hungry for Power?
- We’ve Got the Sweetest Taboos
What is Culture?
Culture is a tricky term to pin down. It’s been variously defined as:
- “the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations” (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
- “that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, law, morals, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society” (English Anthropologist Edward B. Tylor, Primitive Culture, 1871)
- “the collective programming of the mind distinguishing the members of one group or category of people from another” (social psychologist Geert Hostede)
There’s even a list of 21 definitions of culture culled from Twitter interviews.
Whatever definition you subscribe to, it’s pretty clear that culture is all pervasive.